Creative, Practical Gifts from the Heart
As the holidays approach, I am really trying to think of gifts that my senior friends would enjoy. My mom has reached a point in her life – she does not want to accumulate any more things, so with my mom and all sandwich generation’s parents in mind, here are a few gift suggestions.
Create a coupon and add a small item for the following special events:
· Visit to an art museum – postcard of a famous art work
· Visit a zoo – small plastic animal set (that can be donated)
· Walk/drive in a park – Coffee/restaurant gift card and travel cup to enjoy a beverage during the driving
· Visit a botanical garden – the green plants are so life giving during the cold winter months – a small poinsettia or bouquet of fresh flowers
· Holiday Musical Concert (offered at local college or churches) – gift a CD of the style of music to enjoy at home
· Cookie Baking date – bring all the ingredients and bake “gifts” together for family and friends – bring new aprons or potholders
· Dinner In - make a meal at home, enlist your parent’s help according to their abilities – so many miss a home cooked meal – provide a recipe card and the food needed
· Pedicure, manicure set with pretty nail polish and lotion – for home “spa” day
· Drive down memory lane – drive to previous neighborhoods, favorite local places – gift a travel mug and favorite warm beverage
· Small winter décor piece to cheer up their home after all the Christmas decorations are put away – many stores offer cute snowman things
· Movie Night – bring a favorite movie or musical along with snacks and enjoy a movie together
· Lunch out to favorite restaurant – include a menu and a bonTop (the stylish clothing protector/bib)
All of these gifts are wonderful inventive ways to share time with your family member and create new holiday memories.
The partners of Live On Goods wish all of you a joyful family-filled holiday season.
Maria, Gretchen, Laura and Helen